Since I last wrote I've hiked Mont St. Victoire (a bit - a very flat hike that shouldn't count as a hike), tested in to advanced level French (after not taking it since high school - how did that happen??), and have begun to learn how to live in a homestay.
My family is composed of Joel, Helene, Thomas, and Mathieu. Joel is the father, an engineer, a fabulous cook, and a true Frenchman. Helene is the sweetest woman, she does my laundry approximately every other second, which isn't why she is sweet, but is a real plus. Thomas is very shy, but very smart. At first I thought he wasn't a fan of Kim and I, but he's warming up to us and speaks English very well, though he makes us use French with him - good practice. When I realized this I called him out on it, he looks at me, and in French he says, "be careful, I understand everything you're saying," with a sly and menacing grin on his face. I think I like him. And last, Mathieu, is the joker of the family, he is so eager to help and entertain us and practice his English.
I live on the third floor of their home. I have my own bathroom, and the only other room up here is a weight room, which is rarely used. I have some pictures from the first day I was here. It is a simple room, but works just fine for me. I need to get around to decorating it with my pictures and hiding my suitcases!
Learning to live in someone else's home while trying to learn a new city, not to mention a foreign city, and make friends, is proving a little challenging, but nothing I can't handle. My house is about a 10 minute walk downhill to my University and 20 minute walk to the center of town. This isn't bad, but it's not recommended we walk alone at night. This is something I find frustrating.
Dinners are delicious, but can be a bit awkward when we have nothing to discuss, though the conversation has been flowing more freely as the days go on. Tonight, for the first time, there was an abundance of laughter at our crepe dinner. Dinner is a time where I'm able to ask questions I've accrued during the day and try new and different foods while being able to ask what they are. The flow of dinner is also very different than I expected. When eating out in France, one must eat slowly and appreciate the food, wine, and company. It is an insult to eat quickly. In my homestay the boys and my host parents literally wolf down there food and are finished before Kim and I. Go figure! We have a simple salad at almost every meal followed by real food. No preservatives, not too many ingredients, just well flavored food. It's lovely.
Every morning we are left to fend for ourselves for breakfast, which I am fine with. I make myself a little espresso to go along with my French Special K!
All in all I'm enjoying my home and all the perks it has to offer (meals, laundry, solitary living, a kind family), but sometimes wish it was closer to my friends apartments for socializing. Mais, ce n'est pas grave - I'm in France!
Also, I'll leave you with this. A jar of "Pate de Speculoos," was set out on the table along with an assortment of jams and nutella tonight to put on our dessert crepes. I tried it and immediately fell in love. It tastes like spreadable teddy grams. Wish we had it in the states. mmmm.
http://www.bienmanger.com/1F3383_Pate_Speculoos.html
No comments:
Post a Comment