Just got back from a weekend in Paris. It was absolutely wonderful! Paris had not made the biggest fan out of me during my first visit when I was 14, but this time I was enchanted, charmed, and turned into a full supporter of Paris and it's offerings. Holly and I took the TGV Thursday night from Aix arriving in Paris around 11pm. We decided a taxi ride to our hostel would be the easiest bet our first night before we got our bearings. Our taxi driver was a helpful/overly flirtatious man from Cambodia. Not only did he give us a ride minus the luggage fee, he offered us a place to stay and an escort out on the town, in the form of himself and his apartment. We were delivered safe and sound to the “BVJ Louvre” Hostel with time to explore around the area before we conked out.
The next morning we arose bright and early in order to make our way to Versailles. That morning I also boarded, what I like to call, “The Struggle Bus.” We had to check out of our room and check in to a new one before we could leave. The front desk man, who I'll refer to as Napolean, due to his extreme lack of height (which was only uncovered once he left his desk) and power complex, was not so accommodating as his night shift was almost over; we were not relieved by the shift change, female Naploean told us we were going to have to wait about 45 minutes to check back in, in case they didn't have enough room for us, even though we had a reservation for 3 nights.....so, we headed to Starbucks to get a real big ol' Murican coffee in our systems while we watched our allotted time for Versailles dwindle. Eventually, all of our business was sorted out, though this was not the last time we'd have a run in with the front desk workers. We hopped on over to Gare d'Austerlitz to catch a metro of sorts to the 'burbs. It went smoothly – excellent. We walk up to Versailles, and of course, immediately start snapping and posing for pictures. Of course, wanting to look absolutely ravishing in front of my palace, have to remove my glasses for these photo ops. I think we all know what comes next...The Official List of Exotic Places Julia had Misplaced her Glasses:
her car
her father's car
many bathroom stalls
Wilson Commons (multiple times)
her room
her dorm room
other's dorm rooms
her desk
the grass
VERSAILLES
After taking some pictures, gaining free access to the palace and grounds, obtaining an audio guide, and taking more pictures, I realized my glasses were not in my possession. I re-trace my steps to no avail. I decide that if they aren't in sight, hopefully someone has turned them in to the lost and found. So, I continue my tour of Versailles a bit nervous and beginning to feel the tendonitis in my foot rage. The palace is the most opulent building I've ever witnessed and I'm now in full understanding of why those eighteenth century peasants were so pissed off. Then my camera starts to die. More good news.
We finish the tour and I get to practice my French in search of my glasses. I was actually very well helped, but my glasses were gone without a trace. Holly and I then make our way back to the train station so we can hurry back to Paris to meet her friend Natalie, who has long since landed at Charles Du Gualle. We buy our tickets back, using literally every coin I have in my wallet, rush through the gates, and are then turned around due to an accident on the tracks. We are told that there is another station. So, we chase pavement to a station about half way back to Paris with our already used tickets. Somehow we slide on to a train and are on our way. However, this train lets us off on the outskirts of town. So, we figure out what connecter metro we need, only to find out it's closed...so we walk the rest of the way back to the hostel. My feet are whining.
We meet up with Natalie, and I call Emily and Matthias and they also meet up with us. At this point, I'm hoping the Struggle Bus will let me off soon.
It was around 3 pm, and Holly and I had not eaten since 7:30am. Famished, we wanted to find Les Editeurs, a place we were alerted to by a friend as having the world's best French Onion Soup. It took us approximately an hour to find the restaurant all whilst I gnawed on my hand for sustenance. My eyes were bigger than my stomach at this trendy cafe and I ordered myself not only the biggest bowl of French Onion Soup I've ever seen, but also a Croque Madame. I did eat everything and it was an good decision. Well fed and rested Emily, Matthias, and I made our way to the Montparnasse district to ascend the tower, while Natalie and Holly headed to the Louvre. I would suggest paying to go up this tower, or take a ride in the new Ferris Wheel if you're ever in Paris as you get stunning view of the Eiffel Tower and the entire area. We spent a while on the tower and then moseyed our way back to the Louvre area to meet up with Natalie and Holly.
We had a little wine and chocolate picnic of sorts (which was consisted of really cheap convenience store wine, gummy worms, chocolate, and Cassis Tartines) on the lawn in front of the Louvre while we waited for Natalie and Holly. I forwent the Louvre as I had already visited it and wanted to visit districts I'd never been to. Jordan and Mara were on route at this point, and we also met up with them later.
The Struggle Bus did drop me off, but that night it also dropped off another visitor at our hostel. She shall be named Snorelax (awkward pokemon reference). That night Holly and Natalie took the double, while Mara,
Jordan, and I settled in to a four person room. It was already past midnight and we thought we were lucky enough to have evaded a fourth roomie: enter Snoerlax. Snorelax was a woman from somewhere in France (a name I did not recognize) who was in Paris for the weekend, “to get away from her two young daughters who make her head spin.” - strike 1. Snorelax gets ready for bed quickly, and just as quickly begins the most disgusting snore/gurgle/coughing/hacking/drooling/smacking noises I've ever heard. Mara, who somehow unbeknownst to me was able to sleep, while Jordan and I laid awake in shock until about 3:30 am when I finally passed out.
After four hours of sleep it was time to go again. That morning during breakfast in the hostel I bumped in to a high school friend who happened to be in Paris for the weekend during her study abroad – love unexpected meetings. We then started our slow stroll of Paris. We all met up on Île de la Cité near Notre Dame. We also toured St. Chappelle’s Cathedral which had the most stunning stained glass I've ever seen. Mattias, Emily, and I again broke of to go explore the Jewish District of Paris where we indulged in delicious felafel street fare. Yum! We made our way down the Seine past the Louvre and the Obelisk (plus much more) towards l'Arc de Triomphe. A pit stop at Laduree, touted as having the best macaroons was no disappointment. I tried a Cassis Macaroon (black current – very popular in Paris), a Madagascar Dark Chocolate Macaroon, and a Salted Caramel Macaroon. All delicious, though for me, the victor with the dark chocolate.
We took obligatory touristy pictures by the Arch and strolled to pick up baguette's and cheese for a picnic on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower to watch the sunset. Amazed by the sparkling tower and our whirlwind visit to Paris we returned to our hostel area to sit for some drinks an take a load off of our feet after more than 12 hours of discovering Paris.
It was a magical day which provided me with enough exhaustion and contentment to sleep through Snorelax that evening (truly a miracle) and make it up and out and on the TGV back to Aix at 9:15 this morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment