So, it's been quite a while since I've blogged. Things have really ramped up here between actually being assigned school work, and more travels. Since I've last written I've spent one relaxing weekend in Aix (which included a day trip to Avignon), spent the next weekend in Barcelona, and then this past weekend in London town. Phewww. Now, I have three weekends to hang out around here, which is good, because I feel like a lot of my time abroad in Aix has actually been spent leaving Aix.
I have lots of pictures and stories from the last few weekends, but not a lot of time right now. I'll start off on this post with a brief run down of Avignon.
Avignon had a turn as the papal seat of power from 1309-1377 which left it with magnificent art and architecture, none grander than the massive medieval fortress and papal palace, the Palais des Papes. We spent a beautiful day in Avignon first exploring the famous "Pont D'Avignon" (a famous French nursery rhyme -
Creepy YouTube Video Example) and of course dancing on it. Then we did a walking tour of all the famous monuments from the outside and toured the Pope's Palace from the inside. We enjoyed a leisurely lunch in a yet another quintessential French courtyard and then returned to Aix in time for dinner.
The rest of the weekend was rainy and lazy. I watched three movies in one weekend (I think that's the first time that's happened in my entire college career), and cooked fresh food from the market in my friend's apartment!
Here are some Avignon pictures, and stay tuned for Barcelona and London:
 |
| The Pope's Palace |
|
 |
| The Petite Palace - for the Cardinals |
 |
| The Bridge of Avignon |
 |
| "Sur le Pont d'Avignon, on y danse, on y danse" |
 |
| Awkward Panorama of the City |
|
I watched the You tube video (was creepy) ...reminds me of our American Farmer in the Dell! I am so sorry that you have to endure such hardships in a foreign land! We miss you! Your mother and I are taking many trips in the Subaru wearing our Eddie Bauer gear and comfortable shoes!
ReplyDelete