I'd like to say things have gotten hectic here, but that would be a lie. In reality, it's just been absolutely beautiful outside, meaning I spend a lot more time at the park, and a lot less time indoors. I actually took my laptop to the park the other day to work on cover letters and applications (oh yeah, I have a real life back home), but as soon as friends came with soccer balls and treats my computer was tossed to the wayside. So, tonight I'm at home working on said applications.
My spring break is just around the corner. I have a four hour class tomorrow, and then Hello Dublin, Brussels, and Amsterdam. Then after that I only have two weeks left in Aix, then two weeks in Finland with friend Juli. WHERE HAS THE SEMESTER GONE???
Today I was running errands for my break, printing boarding passes, adding minutes to my phone, shipping things home, etc. On my walk home I stopped for a second to buy an apple from my usual corner store. I had a brief conversation with the cashier and went on my way. I then stopped to 'bisou' (the french cheek kiss) and say hello to a friend I made at my school who is Danish, and again carried on. I then stopped and thought, "Wow, I just ran a day's worth of errands, and was able to recognize people in the streets, and feel like a local....all....in....French." When did that happen?
Amongst all my travels to other places, I have been living in France, and getting along daily - I even got a haircut a few weeks back (first time since the eighth grade I've had someone new cut it!). These past few weeks I've explored the region more, heading to Marseille and Cassis, and the Camargues. I'm never nervous to do these things because I know, no matter what, I can get by, because I can speak the language. This is something that is really impressing me as I'm about to head to the Netherlands, where I'm hoping I can get by with my English.
If I was being chronologically accurate, I would share my experience in London right now, but really I want to show and tell what I've been doing in France for the last few weeks.
The weekend after we got back from London, CEA took us on an excursion to the Camargues. These region is famous for it's white "Camargues" horses, it's marshes (with flamingos!), and it's Spanish influence. We spent the morning horseback riding in the marshes, and the afternoon exploring a beach town and then seeing a traditional Camargue Bullfight (also known as "the Rosette Race"). In these bullfights a bull is let out in to the arena and a handful of men in white costumes - the ‘razeteurs’- try to remove a rosette attached to the bull's head, between its horns without being gauged by the bull. There are also men in the arena to help rev up the bull so it might run at the men facilitating the grab of tassel. The men are very quick and agile and jump out of the arena when the bull is running full steam at them, but not before swiping at the horn region with a sort of "rake" on their hand. It was extremely interesting and nerve wracking to watch all at the same time. One man did get gauged and stepped on, but stood back up and continued the round before being escorted out - that's dedication (or stupidity?).
The next day Holly, Mara, and I headed to Marseille for the first time. We'd been there many a time for airport usage, but never to see the sights. It was a gorgeous sunny day and first thing, we parked ourselves in Old Port and ordered the local specialty, bouillabaisse. Well, actually, only Holly ordered it - I got aoili, and we split our meals - in reality we could have just split that. After a three hour lunch, during which I acquired a sunburn on one side of my body, we took public transport up the spiraling streets to Notre Dame de la Guard. This is the magnificent Cathedral that overlooks Marseille. We spent time up there admiring the beauty of the Mediterannean coast before heading home to study :(. Another trip to Marseille is in order as we haven't even chipped the surface of what's to see there.
During the weeks my off time from classes is spent in le Parc Jourdan. It's only about 3 acres (max.) of nicely kept green area and paths, but it's full of sun and spots to sit, chat, read, eat, play, etc. This is also where I spent my next Saturday afternoon. I woke up early and went to the Saturday market, stocking up on provisions for dinner and then headed to the parc. I met a group of friends there, which grew as the afternoon went on. We've been acquiring some international friends through our school as the semester goes on, and this day was Christian's, from Denmark, birthday.
| Holly and Caitlin enjoying our favorite "Carot Rapee" |
| Christian cutting his birthday cake |
| The Port in Cassis |
| Hiking in Swimsuits in Cassis |
| The Countryside |
Had another week of classes, spent more time in the park, lived day to day life in France, and now I'm off again.

No comments:
Post a Comment